Recipes – the gist of the genesis of edibles – Decarboxylation or Decarbing
The purpose of our recipes is to help you work with Medical Marijuana (or MM for spacing reasons) when you don’t want it in your lungs. We do our best to give you all you need to rock your recipes with minimal fuss and equipment, but if you are going to make edibles, you need to decarboxylate your MM. If you do it right and take your time, decarbing is no big deal. You got this.
What is Decarboxylation (AKA: Decarb, Decarbing) is the oldest organic chemical reaction around, along with its opposite reaction, photosynthesis (carboxylation). When cannabis releases carbon dioxide and water on a cellular level, THCA from the plant is converted to THC, smoking MM does this through heat; and when it goes into your lungs, it releases the THC. Baking it in the oven does this as well, but the THC stays with the MM. THCA can also convert to THC by aging MM in a dark place (doing the opposite of photosynthesis) for a REALLY long time. If you are interested more in the science behind it, Wikipedia has a well-written description.
Tip: DO NOT buy ‘pre-decarbed’ buds from a local dealer offering you a too-good price. It’s a scam. They took most of the little THC crystals produced by decarbing.
You will need:
- Medical Marijuana (we have an ultra-easy Cannabutter recipe too)
- TWO baking pans (metal or glass are great, disposable aluminum are not recommended), one should fit inside of the other easily.
- aluminum foil
- parchment paper (not necessary, but great for protecting your buds from scorching, browning too fast and keeping your crystals from sticking to the pan. It is also good for seeing everything after you’ve decarbed. It’s $4 per roll at WalMart, has other uses, you have over $100 of MM. Don’t get cheap.
- An oven in good working order (not a toaster oven)
- An oven thermometer (optional, if you have an oven you know is accurate)
- A timer
- Optional: EverClear, used to stop Cannabutter from becoming green, we’ll explain later, just get a little $2-3 one that holds a tablespoon’s worth. If you take to decarbing, you can buy more later
- Optional: spray bottle for Everclear (see previous item, above). You can use a spoon if you need to. Thanks to High Times for this tidbit of info. It truly works!
Turn the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 C) to preheat.
Put the smaller baking pan inside the larger. (WHY? It provides an insulation against rapid heating and allows crystallization to happen unimpeded by heat. Using one pan, the oven turning on its heat (as a quick blast to keep its temperature up) interrupted the process. That extra pan really helped protect the bud from rapid heating/cooling.
Cut a piece of parchment to fit inside the smaller pan and place it inside.
Over the parchment, break your buds into small pieces about the size of M&M’s or a fingernail. You will want to pull out larger stem bits and set the seeds in aside (You may have future baby plants there). Make sure the marijuana is a thin layer with no overlaps yet close together. If you use a processor, go gentle. You want it lumpy.
Tear off a piece of foil to fit over the pan and cover.
Bake for one hour, turning at 35 minutes (that’s what worked best, I don’t know why). Remove from oven and remove foil cover. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 10-12 minutes.
Spray lightly with Everclear in spray bottle. WHY: Everclear breaks down some of the cellulose (what makes plants green), thereby keeping the Cannabutter from becoming too green. Be real: green chocolate chippers are pleh. You can also spoon Everclear lightly over the decarbed MM and mix it around if you only have spray bottles of questionable origins.
Since you’ve stunk up the house, might as well go for broke. We have a simple Cannabutter recipe that anyone with a pulse and a slow cooker (Crock Pot) can make. You will do better with a smaller Crockpot than a larger one (about $15-20 at WalMart), so if you are serious about future edibles, they’re worth the money.
For every pound of Cannabutter, you need one-ounce MM (keeping in mind your dosing):
1 pound butter (four sticks, 16 ounces) to one-ounce MM (28 grams)
½ pound butter (2 sticks, 8 ounces) to ½ ounce MM (14 grams)
¼ pound butter (1 stick, 4 ounces) to 1/4-ounce MM (7 grams)
After you’ve sprayed Everclear on your MM, you will want to let it cool another 20 minutes. During that time, unwrap sticks of butter into a pot on the stove and melt them over low to medium heat, stirring every few minutes until melted. You can put butter into the slow cooker, just make sure they have started to melt before adding MM.
Pour the butter into a Crockpot. Turn on low for 6 hours. Put the Decarbed flower into your butter using a spoon and stir gently. While the butter is infusing, stir once an hour. When finished, allow to cool for 30 minutes and stir for a few seconds.
When the infusion is complete, pour the butter through a cheesecloth-lined strainer into a glass bowl. You will want to squeeze all the extra butter out of the cheesecloth then handwash it.
Clearly mark your Cannabutter, then store in your refrigerator in a glass dish with a fitted lid. Use within 2 weeks. You can freeze Cannabutter, just be sure to wrap it well, leaving no air pockets. Use within 2-3 months.
Easy JELLO CannaCandy (uses CannaButter OR Tincture) Homemade Suckas, Sucka!
We can’t give you a quantity as we don’t know how much cannabutter you will use or the size mold. So easy, my DOG can do this (but he gets fur in them, Ew). They are tasty, but not all are flavors are as translucent as Lifesavers, don’t get creeped out, they taste dang good.
- Gather everything before you begin.
- Use Pam to grease your molds (or mini ice cube trays) before you start.
- You can make molds using powdered sugar and the back of a teaspoon. Pour out thick coat of sugar, mash spoon in to make molding cavities.
- You can reheat to soften the candy mix to work it longer, but you can only do it once.
- We found candy molds, flavorings, candy wrappers, lollipop sticks at Hobby Lobby. They have lots of candy supply sales too.
You will need:
- 1 3.4 oz box Jello, any flavor (bolder flavors mask the cannabis better)
- Heavy bottom saucepan
- Candy thermometer (or submersible kitchen thermometer that goes to 300 F/150C)
- ½ Cup light corn syrup
- ¾ Cup white sugar
- ¼ Cup cannabutter OR 1-2 Tablespoons tincture (increase/decrease as you see fit, it does not impact the recipe. I used 1/8 C Cannabutter with ½ Tablespoon tincture)
- Optional: A few drops of flavoring or extract to cover marijuana taste further. We tried cherry Jello and lemon and Orange Jello with vanilla. Orange was better. You can add coloring, but Jello is pretty colorful already. Seems pointless.
- If you have lollipop sticks, make lollipops, cut pieces of wax paper to wrap your candies if you want, or just have one and stare at the wall. The possibilities are endless, as is the time-space continuum…..
Mix the Corn Syrup, cannabutter (and/or tincture) and sugar in the saucepan using a longer handled spoon. Over medium heat, bring contents to a boil stirring constantly, then clip the thermometer in the pan, being careful to not rest it on the bottom. Cook the sugar/syrup while stirring until the temperature reaches 275 F/135C.
Remove the pan from the burner and remove the thermometer from the pan. Slowly pour the Jello into the pot while stirring. Add a drop or two of flavoring, then pour into molds.
Do not wait to pour into the molds unless you want one big stoner Lifesaver. The candy sets up in seconds. If your candy got ahead of you, return it to the stove, heat it over medium low heat and try again. If you’re on strike 2, pour it into a pan, smash it down as thin as possible, let it harden and break it apart. Your dosing will be meaningless, but you’ll have a fabulous story to tell your great grandkids someday