Before I launch into this month’s recipes, to all of you who are gagging on your medicine, there are some promising new goodies out there to help you help yourself.
Even if you are a hopeless cook, you can medicate (almost) effortlessly. One item is a distillate with the terpenes removed. This little gram of goo can be incorporated into your foods and won’t leave that nasty patchouli aftertaste on your tongue. Make sure you stir it in well – that tasteless thing can fool you. You’ll also want to label your medicine well and put it where it can’t be easily found. We don’t want to accidentally medicate others
Another thing I looked at was strains’ natural flavors and how they might impact edibles. As a test, I went with the old standby: chocolate chip cookies. The batch was four dozen cookies, one dozen used the unflavored distillate and plain butter, the second got Zkittlez Cannabutter, the third I used Pineapple Express CB and the last I used Girl Scout Cookies CB with a little GSC distillate added in (1/2 teaspoon).
Using the sweeter, less earthy cannabutters will change the taste of chocolate chip cookies, but the flowery or fruity flavors, while not awful, can be a little weird. The Zkittlez? I had to give them away. My first CC cookies ever were made with Trainwreck and I still gag thinking about them, but the bread dip was awesome. Take these things into consideration when using delicate flavors like vanilla, almond or banana and the taste will be much better.
Canna-Cream (And then the angels sang) As-is: 12-16 servings, about 5 mg each
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (NO substitutes! Get Great Value – cheap, works great)
- ¼ oz decarbed cannabis, ground fine
- 1-2 Tablespoons confectioners (powdered) sugar or honey, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cheesecloth and strainer
- Doubleboiler (or two pots, one must fit inside the other)
- Glass container to store your Canna cream (STOP using plastic, people! $150 of medication in a 50-cent container? Stop. Just stop.)
Set-up a double boiler. They have instructions on the web, but you fill the bottom pot about ¼ with water, put the smaller pot inside, put your cream and cannabis in the smaller pot, cook it all on med-low for about 2 hours, stirring frequently (I cleaned my kitchen tiles while I waited). You are infusing cream with cannabis just as you would butter. You can use a Crockpot for this if you prefer (double the recipe).
Allow mixture to cool for about 30 minutes, stirring every so often. You can fill bottom pot with cold water, then ice water to cool faster. Once you can touch the pot comfortably, place cheesecloth over the glass bowl, doubling it. Hold it with one hand while you slowly pour the cream into the bowl. I repeated the process about 3 times and used a tea strainer. Go slooooow.
Refrigerate, let the cream get really cold, and refrigerate a large mixing bowl as well. Using a hand or stand mixer and whisk attachments, add vanilla and sugar. Mix in gently then whip rapidly until stiff peaks form and stand on their own. Check it every 30 seconds. You want it fluffy, not lumpy.
Advice? Double or triple this recipe and keep your dosing low. Don’t forget that whipped cream doubles, triples its size, so account for that in your dosing.
No sugar diets: replace the powdered sugar with Truvia, Agave or omit sweetener entirely. The vanilla will have some sweetness as will the cream. You may prefer it.
We also found an easy version:
- 1-cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tbsp cannabis tincture
- 1/2 Tbsp maple or agave syrup (optional)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- hand mixer or stand mixer
Warm the tincture in a double boiler with the whipping cream, mixing until well incorporated. Chill. Mix in vanilla, sweetener and whip with mixer until it’s fluffy and frothy.
Whipped Cream Layered Dessert ANYONE can make
- 1 recipe ‘Whipped Canna Cream’, separated
- 1 3.4 oz box vanilla pudding mix (or white chocolate or coconut or banana) *See our special instructions for a new spin, below.
- 1 box Nilla wafers (or ladyfingers, butter cookies, almond cookies, sugar cookies or get a frozen pound cake and cut it into cubes)
- In-season fruit that works with the pudding flavor, about 8 ounces (you can mix and match this and go with frozen or pie filling, you can go with more fruit and omit the cookies as well. Shine on you crazy diamond!)
- Garnishes (Canna leaves, fruit, chocolate drizzles, etc, etc)
*You may want to make some ‘Med Puddin’: follow the directions on the pudding box, EXCEPT, for 1 cup of the milk, you are going to eyeball in some whipped Canna Cream (I use about 1-1.5 cups). Fold in the Canna cream gently. You want to make this a ‘fluffy MPP’. Make sure you account for the THC/CBD when you make your dessert.
Get a parfait glass. Or a coffee cup, beer mug, deep bowl. Put small amount of pudding in glass to provide stick, then start with cookies in the bottom, layer fruit, MP, Canna Cream, then try for a second layer. Garnish and serve or cover and refrigerate until later.
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT’S HOLY: LABEL YOUR STUFF, KEEP IT AWAY FROM CHILDREN’S LITTLE HANDS! I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH Y’ALL. PLEASE! Might we suggest you make a ‘normal’ batch for everyone else?